Musings on the lost metaverse

 

Musings on the lost metaverse

For a few years a little while back I was involved with High Fidelity

This lost me a lot of friends and made many more people angry

Why did I spend all that time there when I could have been doing something else instead?

Firstly, I was intrigued by the first video they released. I remember Philip Rosedale from second life so applied to and got accepted into it as an Alpha.

Going in I assumed I knew how games or whatever we call them are made. Well, you read stuff about game engines and features. I knew code was a lot of zeroes and ones

And assumed you type one of these and get the other

But to tell you the truth I hadn’t really thought about it.

Turns out I knew nothing about any of it.

I wandered around chatting to different people there who all seem to have been born knowing how to code.

They had a forum we were allowed to talk to other people in the Alphas about hifi in

Everyone was very polite. So, I set myself up as agent provocateur. Threw in a few matches and the ensuing fire got some great discussion going.

Mr Rosedale is like Barnum the greatest showman he breathed excitement into the platform. He sent us the technology and we drank the Kool-Aid lol It was great. Face tracking and hand tracking whilst primitive blew my little mind.

VR was like the apple of temptation, easier more seductive, everyone lost their way and gave up their humanity to make it work

They also gave up the things I liked best; we didn’t even see them go

Ill write more about what I loved and hated another time, it’s a long story


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FFS Judas if you’re so smart you fix second life

Why the Metaverse is ashamed of Second life.